- 3 Small Chickens (under 2lbs.), quartered and skinned and wings discarded
- 1/3 Cup Lemon Juice
For the Sauce:
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
1/3 cup ghee (or oil) for basting
1. Rub the chicken with the lemon juice and allow it to sit, refrigerated, for 1/2 hour.
2. While the chicken is sitting, combine all the marinade ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend them until they form a fine paste.
3. Rub the chicken with the marinade and allow it to sit, covered at room temperature, for at least four hours.
4. Prepare a charcoal grill with plenty of charcoal so that the coals are glowing and very hot. Make sure that you have a fire that is substantial enough to maintain a consistent temperature for up to 30 minutes. Set the grill racks 2-3 inches from the coals.
5. Place the chicken onto the grill racks and allow it to cook covered for 20 minutes on the first side. Baste the chicken often. Turn it and allow it to cook for about ten minutes on the second side or until it is done. Note that these times are suggestions–actual cooking time will depend on the grill temperature.
6. When the chicken is done, serve immediately on a bed of seasoned Basmati rice.